Thursday, January 21, 2010

DVD Recommendation

Death at a Funeral

It is no secret that one of the best parts of going to the theater is the previews. And just about everyone agrees. We all love to turn to the next person and give a thumbs up or down to the trailer we just saw. On one recent visit to the local theater, we were treated to a preview of the upcoming Death at a Funeral, and the friend next to me really seemed to enjoy it, but I was disappointed. Unlike my friend, I was aware that this new film is actually a remake of a movie from a couple of years ago. (Also called Death at a Funeral.) And I couldn’t wait to recommend to my friend that he go out and rent the original version instead.

Not that the new one looks bad. In fact, it looks mostly the same except with black actors instead of British ones. However, as much as I enjoy Chris Rock and Martin Lawrence from time to time, I thought that the first Death was pure genius. Directed by Frank Oz, better known as the voice of Yoda from Star Wars as well as countless Muppets, but also a fine comedic director of films like What About Bob? and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, the original Death had me laughing uncontrollably. It was a movie that I had to watch several times because I just couldn’t stop enjoying it. It features a host of British talent, including Matthew Macfayden and Rupert Graves as the two brothers trying to keep the day of their father’s funeral from falling into complete and utter chaos. (And of course, failing to do so.) It is a thoroughly hilarious film, and while I have yet to see the remake, I find it hard to believe that it can top the original. So for my first official DVD recommendation, I urge you to go out and get Death at a Funeral. You’ll thank me.

No comments:

Post a Comment